Cookbook:Chicken Soup of Puerto Rico (Asopao)
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
(Redirected from Cookbook:Asopao)
|Chicken Soup of Puerto Rico (Asopao)|
Asopao (Puerto Rico)
Here an excellent dish from the 407 restaurant in Jerusalem, Israel. I'm told it was adapted from a Caribbean cookbook. Here is my best attempt at recreating it at home.
- 2 to 3 chicken breasts sliced into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, fine minced
- 1 medium green pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 med onion, peeled and chopped
- 800g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 c. uncooked long-grain white rice
- 3 c. chicken broth
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp hot pepper
- 2 - 3 tbsp. oil or margarine
- lemon juice, white wine, parsley
- In a wide, shallow bowl combine flour, salt, black pepper, hot pepper, oregano and garlic. Roll chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- In a large kettle, melt margarine over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 3 to 5 or until brown. Remove from kettle and set aside. Add a bit of white wine or grappa to deglace and pour drippings over chicken
- Add green pepper and onion to kettle and sauté until onion is transparent.
- Add rice, tomatoes, broth, and a dash of lemon juice. Stir. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook over low heat for 12 minutes.
- Return chicken to kettle. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until chicken is tender. Add a bit more oregano and some chopped parsley.
Preparation time: 15 minutes Total time: 35