|Servings||8, ½-cup servings|
Homemade Light Applesauce. This is a nice applesauce to enjoy any time, but especially with latkes during Hanukkah. You don't need to get your blender dirty; you just need a potato masher and a little elbow grease.
The use of a sugar substitute makes the applesauce sweeter with less sugar added.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 3 pounds (1300g) (about 8 cups) peeled, cored, and chopped apples
- ½ cup water
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons sugar substitute
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or apple pie spice
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Put chopped apples in a large non-stick saucepan. Stir in water, sugar, sugar substitute, and lemon juice.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook until apples are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Use a potato masher to break cooked apples up into a nice purée.
- Stir in ground cinnamon or apple pie spice.
- Serve warm or cold.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Use whatever variety of apples you prefer