Wikibooks:Reading room/Administrative Assistance
|General | Proposals | Projects | Featured books||General | Technical | Administrative||Deletion | Undeletion | Import | Permissions | Renaming|
|To request a rename or usurpation, go to the renaming requests page to file a request.
Please do not post those requests here!
Welcome to the Administrative Assistance reading room. You can request assistance from administrators for handling a variety of problems here and alert them about problems which may require special actions not normally used during regular content editing. Please be patient as administrators are often quite busy with either their own projects or trying to perform general maintenance and cleanup.
You can deal with most vandalism yourself: fix it, then warn the user. If there is repeated vandalism by one user, lots of vandalism on a single page, or vandalism from many users, tell an admin here, or in #wikibooks (say
!admin to get attention).
For more general questions and assistance that doesn't require an administrator, please use the Assistance Reading Room.
Site Notice / Featured Books
I have had a clear out of old discussions on Featured Book Nominations (and also VfD). As there seems to have been so little activity with regards to such discussions recently I have added a notice about Featured Books and the discussions on the site notice. I noticed on other Wikimedia sites that they frequently include similar notices encouraging community discussion (see Wikinews and Wikivoyage). Any opinions?--ЗAНИA talk 19:48, 12 May 2014 (UTC)
- Sounds good to me. Maybe add "How is your classroom contributing to Wikibooks?" to copy what another project has done. --darklama 20:05, 12 May 2014 (UTC)
Uncontroversial book merge
Vandalism past 'final warning'
- From the IP's edit history, I'm thinking multiple people (possibly a primary school classroom environment), short attention span. I've given them a one-day block. --Pi zero (discuss • contribs) 01:27, 3 July 2014 (UTC)
I no longer get notifications
Why after being a reviewer have my notifications stopped coming in? CallumPoole (discuss • contribs) 14:51, 3 July 2014 (UTC) Is it because I'm not on the Wikibooks beta mode? I'll come back and check this page at a later date as I'm not notified.
Per Cookbook:Policy please rename the following:
- Cookbook:Coconut milk to cookbook:Coconut Milk
- Cookbook:Chocolate balls to Cookbook:Chocolate Balls
- Cookbook:Cayenne pepper to Cookbook:Cayenne Pepper
- Cookbook:Granulated sugar to Cookbook:Granulated Sugar
- Cookbook:Espagnole sauce to Cookbook:Espagnole Sauce
- Also (saved it too early):
- Cookbook:Oven temperatures
- Cookbook:Rhubarb crumble
- Cookbook:Sweet rice
- Cookbook:Swedish meatballs
- Cookbook:Whipped cream
Please block User:Abelard4 and User:Abelard42 IP
Yesterday I've warned User talk:Abelard4 to stop spamming our articles, but today he's respamming:
- Several pages for which these URL are out of topic.
- Without any discussion.
- With a sockpuppet account User talk:Abelard42.
- It's a cross-wiki spam on Wikipedia and Wikinews.
- Both accounts have been locked globally by a Steward. QuiteUnusual (discuss • contribs) 07:50, 7 August 2014 (UTC)
Oddly similar minor vandalism
It's been suggested to me this sort of thing is likely to be different people in the same class. With that in mind, I've just given each of the two accounts a 24 hour block —I hadn't bothered to block them at all, at first— to let them, and others in their class if that were to be what was going on, know they shouldn't be doing that. --Pi zero (discuss • contribs) 11:06, 12 August 2014 (UTC)
- They are sockpuppets (confirmed by CheckUser) or possibly meatpuppets. QuiteUnusual (discuss • contribs) 11:24, 12 August 2014 (UTC)
- Mumfum was a vandalism spree Wikibooks went through about 6-8 years ago. It was a constant problem although I'd thought that some filter had been made to deal with the problem.--ЗAНИA talk 15:30, 12 August 2014 (UTC)
- He is the same person as the "ass pus" vandal who has been doing similar attacks on other WMF wikis. He first appeared on the English Wikipedia in late 2004 as the "pelican shit" vandal, if I remember correctly. I thought he would have grown out of it after 10 years, but I guess I was wrong. :\ --Ixfd64 (discuss • contribs) 05:32, 23 August 2014 (UTC)
Spammer & Protection Required
Please see IP 22.214.171.124, and its contribution Request you to keep a check on it, and is further Vandalism is done, please block it. The current one has been reverted by myself. The page World History/Civilization and Empires in the Indian Subcontinent requires Protection once more on an urgent basis. Jai Jinendra. Vishal Bakhai - Works 16:28, 7 September 2014 (UTC)
- Also for the following User - User:Godzilla25. User put his user id in the edit. I have reverted the edit and have warned the user. Request to keep a tab on this user too. Again Danke Schôn. Jai Jinendra Vishal Bakhai - Works 21:20, 7 September 2014 (UTC)
- I am not sure, if you missed this, but the page World History/Civilization and Empires in the Indian Subcontinent also requires protection, as there are edit wars and insertions within the book (literal war) being done. Pi, if you can look at the same as well. Jai Jinendra. Vishal Bakhai - Works 08:34, 8 September 2014 (UTC)