UK Housing Law/Tenants/Start of tenancy
Tenancy deposits are protected by Tenancy Deposit Schemes.
The landlord is required to provide you with information about your deposit (the prescribed information) within 14 days of the commencement of your tenancy.
When you receive this information, you can check online that your deposit is, in fact, enrolled in a scheme, and thus protected.
Check which Tenancy Deposit Scheme you are enrolled in. If using…
- The Deposit Protection Service (The DPS)
- You will receive a Deposit ID and Repayment ID. Make a note of the Repayment ID, for instance writing it down and attaching it to your lease (via a sticky note, for instance), as you will need it at the end of your tenancy to recover your deposit.
- Tenancy Deposit Solutions Ltd (TDSL)
- The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)
- Receive Prescribed Information (details of Tenancy Deposit Scheme)
- Receive and note Repayment ID (and Deposit ID), if using the DPS