Standard Swedish is the national language, which has evolved from the Central Swedish dialects from the 19th century and was well-established by the first decades of the 20th century. While distinct regional varieties still exist, influenced by the older dialects, both the spoken and written language is uniform and standardized. Some of the genuine dialects differ considerably from the standard language in grammar and vocabulary and are not always mutually intelligible with Standard Swedish. They are mostly confined to individual communities and have been in decline during the past century. Though not facing imminent extinction, and often encouraged by local authorities, they are usually confined to rural areas in population of low education and social mobility.
Swedish is distinguished by its prosody, which varies considerably between the various varieties and includes both lexical stress and some tonal qualities. The language has a comparatively large vowel inventory, with a total of 9 separate vowels that are distinguished by quantity and to some degree quality, making up a total of 17 vowel phonemes. Swedish is also notable for the voiceless dorso-palatal velar fricative, [ɧ], found in most varieties, but has not been found in any other language.
Swedish is closely related to, and usually mutually intelligible with, Danish and Norwegian, and to some degree with Faroese; all of which evolved from Old Norse about a millennium ago. It is also closely related to Icelandic, though the two are not mutually intelligible. Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian Bokmål, which are all considered East Scandinavian languages, have been strongly influenced by Low German.
Situationer och konversationer med vokabulär (Situations & Conversations With Vocabulary) 
- Välkomna Welcome - Introducing yourself
- Resande Traveling
- Hobbyer Hobbies - Recreational Activities
- Familj Family
- Skola School
- Handla Shopping
- Hem Home
- Sjukvård Medical Care
- Svensk kultur Swedish Culture
Ordförråd (Vocabulary) 
- Swedish/Vocabulary/Common phrases
- List of Verbs
- List of strong and irregular verbs
Uttal (Pronunciation) 
Grammatik (Grammar) 
Language Courses 
- Björn Engdahl's Swedish Course - A free beginner course available in English, Spanish, German, Dutch, Russian, Polish and French.
- Grim - A language learning environment for writers of Swedish.
- Kom loss på svenska - A beginner course with audio pronunciation and exercises.
- Plugga24 - Improve your writing in genres important for SFI, Svenska grund and SAS. A collection of SFI tests, and a collection of Swedish songs with lyrics.
- Swedish dialects Introduction to Swedish dialects (completely in Swedish).
- Swedish Tutorial - A free beginner guide to Swedish.
- FSI Basic Swedish - A Swedish Basic Course from the Foreign Service Institute (FSI) of the US State Department which is in the Public Domain.
- How to learn Swedish in 1000 difficult lessons An American Living in Sweden.
- Swedish Language course from The Pennsylvania State University
-  Year-round and summer immersion courses for kids and adults.
Dictionaries and Vocabulary 
- Lexin - Online Swedish to English dictionary.
- SAOB - The most extensive historical Swedish dictionary (first volume completed in 1898), but as yet it only goes to tojs. If a word is covered depends on when the volume was completed.
- Skoldatanätets bildteman - A picture-learning resource.
- Verbix - Conjugates Swedish verbs for you.
- Vokabel - A vocabular training program.
-  - Nordstedts dictionary
- Dagens Nyheter - Free streamed Swedish media.
- 8 sidor - Online easy to read news in Swedish, with option of audio narration you can control the speed of.
- Sveriges Radio - Free streamed Swedish media.
- Sveriges Television - Free streamed Swedish media.
- Swedish - a brief presentation, by Urban Sikeborg at Handelshögskolan.