|Developer(s)||The Perlwikibot team|
|Initial release||August 25, 2007|
|Stable release||5.5.7 / Nov 2013|
|License||GNU General Public License|
What is this thing?
Does that mean you're trying to make pywikibot obsolete?
Of course not! Pywikibot is a valuable bot framework (the Tawkerbot2 code, as well as most major bots, are written using it), however, if Perl coders are confined to using Python, they can't customize and extend the code to fit their needs. With an open-source framework written in their "native language," they'll be able to better write bots in a language that they are comfortable with, and even customize the framework to fit needs it wasn't originally imagined for.
How complete is perlwikipedia?
Perlwikibot is almost completely cross-wiki, so you can write bots for virtually any MediaWiki wiki with it. As of version 5.005007, Perlwikibot does not support WikiData-specific queries or edits.
Editing and querying wikis
- Retrieve the wikitext of articles, sections, and old revisions
- Edit pages
- Retrieve the history of articles
- Revert to old revisions of articles (manually, with undo, or with rollback)
- Retrieve the Recent Changes log
- Retrieve backlinks and transclusions
- Purge page caches
- Retrieve a listing of all pages in a category
- Run linksearches
- Deleting and undeleting pages
- Blocking and unblocking users
- Protecting and unprotecting pages
- Performing transwiki imports (XML upload is in the works)
user@host:~$ cpan cpan> install MediaWiki::Bot ...
Or download from  and install it like you would any other Perl module:
perl Makefile.PL make make test sudo make install
The latest unstable source code can be acquired from the github repo.
Unlike pywikibot, we do not recommend using the unstable source tree for production.