Muggles' Guide to Harry Potter/Magic/Auror
|Muggles' Guide to Harry Potter - Magic|
|First Appearance||Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire|
An Auror is "a Dark wizard catcher". They are an elite group of witches and wizards, loyal to the Ministry of Magic, whose mission is to fight against and capture the forces of the Dark Arts.
The Aurors are like a police force, and sometimes work as intelligence agents. They have the authority to arrest malefactors like Death Eaters, and at times have been given authority to use deadly force against Death Eaters in particular.
It takes three years to become an Auror after attending Hogwarts. A candidate to become an Auror should meet the following requirements:
- minimum of five N.E.W.T.s with no grade under "Exceeds Expectations"
- recommended N.E.W.T. subjects are:
If the candidate meets the above requirements he or she must also pass the following requirements:
- background check for criminal record
- "a stringent series of character and aptitude tests at the Auror office."
When accepted, the candidate continues on training. Once one becomes an "Auror trainee" they will be taught one of the following:
- Concealment and Disguise
- Stealth and Tracking
Known Aurors 
- Alice Longbottom (insanity due to Cruciatus Curse)
- Frank Longbottom (insanity due to Cruciatus Curse)
- Alastor 'Mad-Eye' Moody (retired)
- Gawain Robbards
- Rufus Scrimgeour
- Kingsley Shacklebolt
- Nymphadora Tonks