Handbook of Management Scales/Competitive and market intelligence
Competitive and market intelligence (alpha = 0.89)
Although certain items of some scales were developed specifically for the Japanese context, many were derived from existing validated scales. Respondents answered all questions using a Likert-type scale ranging from 0 to 10; field research suggested that an 11-point scale was appropriate for studying Japanese management practices because a 100 percent grading system is used in most Japanese schools.
Competitive and market intelligence entails early assessments of market size, consumer behavior, price sensitivities, and competitor activities.
To what extent does each statement listed below correctly describe this selected successful project? (0 = strongly disagree, 10 = strongly agree)
- During the early stages of the development process, we met with potential customers frequently and knew how much the customers would pay for such a product—his/her price sensitivity. (0.87)
- During the early stages of the development process, we generated a lot of intelligence on potential competitors of this product and knew the competitors well—their products, pricing, strategies and strengths. (1.00)
- During the early stages of the development process, we reviewed the history of potential competitors and knew how our competitors would react to the introduction of this product. (0.97)
- During the early stages of the development process, we met with potential customers frequently to understand their purchase decision—the "who, what, when, where and how" of his purchase behavior for this potential product. (0.72)
- During the early stages of the development process, we generated preliminary market and industry intelligence and were able to predict the size and the trend of our potential market for this product. (0.64)
- Song/Montoya-Weiss (2001): The Effect of Perceived Technological Uncertainty on Japanese New Product Development. Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 61-80.
The items are quite long.