Reasons for developing GNU Health
Today many countries face deadly epidemics (HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Tuberculosis, Chagas, Kala-azar...). Millions lack basic education, housing conditions or immunizations.
Health Informatics should be a public good. GNU Health provides the freedom and accessibility of Free Software to public health, so every health center and health professional, independent of economic status, can improve the health care of their citizens.
The World Health Organization (WHO) defines health as "a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.". That holistic concept of well-being is what GNU Health delivers.
GNU Health is a project of GNU Solidario, an NGO that delivers Health and Education with Free Software. Today, free software activists and organizations around the globe work on the development of the project.
It can be used by any health center, from multi-lateral organizations, NGOs, national health systems to private institutions. From small doctor offices to large hospitals.
GNU Health Functionality
GNU Health covers three aspects :
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR)
- Hospital Information System (HIS)
- Health Information System (epidemiology)
Health promotion and disease prevention is at the core of GNU Health design.
GNU Health is modular. The Health Center installs only the required functionality
- Patient Management
- Medical history
- Intensive Care
- Genetic risks
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Socioeconomics Status
- Housing conditions (running water, electricity, sewers, ...)
- Family Members
- Educational level
- Working conditions
- Family Functionality (affection, problem resolutions...)
- Child and Youth Psychosocial Risk assesment
- Eating habits and nutritional level
- Physical exercise
- Health Center Management
- Financial Management
- Human Resources
- Admissions and Hospitalizations
- Supply Chain Management
- Stock Management
GNU Health is an Official GNU Package
On August 26th, 2011, the Free Software Foundation integrated GNU Health into the GNU System.
GNU Health Portal and other Resources
The homepage for the GNU Health project is http://health.gnu.org
The development environment is at GNU Savannah, http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/health
Other GNU Health community resources :
- Mailing lists : https://savannah.gnu.org/mail/?group=health
- IRC Channels : You can find live help at IRC in the channels #gnuhealth for English and #gnuhealth-es for Spanish. You can use any IRC client or Free node web interface
- GNU Health community at Google Plus : http://gplus.to/GnuHealth