From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
What you need to know
The database concept
- (a) Describe a database as a persistent organised store of data
- (b) Explain the use of data handling software to create, maintain and interrogate a database.
- (c) describe how a DBMS allows the separation of data from applications and why this is desirable
- (d) describe the principal features of a DBMS and how they can be used to create customised data handling applications.
- (e) understand the relationship between entities and tables
- (f) understand the components of a relational database, such as tables, forms, queries, reports and modules
- (g) understand the use of logical operators in framing database queries
- (h) explain the use of key fields to connect tables and avoid data redundancy
- (i) describe methods of validating data as it is input.