FOSS Education/Further Readings
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- Moody, G., Rebel Code-Linux and the Open Source Revolution, Penguin Books, 2002.
- St. Onge, P. D., "Linux in Education: Two Years Later", August 2002; available at freshmeat.net/articles/view/533/.
- Kegel, D., "The Case for Linux in Universities", Oct 2002; available at www.kegel.com/linux/edu/case.html.
- Kegel, D., "The Undergrad CS Programme, Linux, and Open Source", Mar 2003; available from www.kegel.com/linux/edu/curriculum.html.
- Howland, J. E., "Software Freedom, Open Software and the Undergraduate Computer Science Curriculum", Department of Computer Science, Trinity University, April 2000; available at www.cs.trinity.edu/~jhowland/ccsc2000/ccsc2000/ccsc2000.html.
- Massey, B., "Open Source Software Development in the Unix Environment", course in Portland State University; available at www.cs.pdx.edu/course.php?cid=110.
- Cesarini, P. A., "Monocultural Alternative: The OpenCD", Fall 2003, Computers and Composition Online; available at www.bgsu.edu/cconline/reviews/cesarini_review.htm.
- Hart, T. D., "Open Source in Education", May 2003, University of Maine; available at portfolio.umaine.edu/~hartt/OSinEducation.pdf.
- Lineweaver, R.,"Cost savings of open source software in the server room-An informal case study in K-12 education", 2002; available at staff.harrisonburg.k12.va.us/~rlineweaver.
- Carmichael, P. and Honour, L.,"Open Source as Appropriate Technology for Global Education", School of Education, University of Reading, UK; available at www.ellak.gr/pub/osdocs/education/carmichael.pdfe=7413.
- Robbins, J. E., "Adopting OSS Methods by Adopting OSS Tools", CollabNet, Inc.; available at opensource.ucc.ie/icse2002/Robbins.pdf.
- González-Barahona, J. M. and Robles, G., "Free Software Engineering: A Field to Explore", UPGRADE - European Journal for the Informatics Professional, Vol.IV,No. 4,August 2003;available at www.upgradecepis.org/issues/2003/4/up4-4Gonzalez.pdf.
- Gilbert, S.W.and Long,P., "Open Knowledge and Open CourseWare Initiatives: An Interview with MIT's Phil Long", The Technology Source, March/April 2002; available at ts.mivu.org/default.asp?show=articleid=979.
- Siemens, G., "Free and Open Source Movements: Part 1 - History and Philosophies", March 2003; available at www.xplana.com/whitepapers/archives/open_source_part1.
- Siemens, G.,"Open Source Content in Education: Part 2 - Developing, sharing, expanding resources", March 2003; available at www.xplana.com/whitepapers/archives/open_source_part2.
- Bretthauer,D., "Open Source Software: A History, Information Technology and Libraries", Vol. 21,No. 1; available at www.lita.org/Content/NavigationMenu/LITA/LITA_Publications4/ITAL__Information_Technology_and_Libraries/2101_Bretthauer.htm.
- Lakhani, K. R. and Wolf, R. G., "Why Hackers Do What They Do: Understanding Motivation Effort in Free/Open Source Software Projects", MIT Sloan School of Management, September 2003; available at freesoftware.mit.edu/papers/lakhaniwolf.pdf.