English for B2 Students/Unit 1
The World of English
Aim of this lesson: Practice some common questions and their replies and familiarise yourself with common adjectives and their dependent prepositions. listen
|Where are you from?||I am from Ireland.|
|What languages do you speak?||I speak English.|
|What languages do you want to learn?||I want to learn Greek because I am interested in ancient history.|
|What languages did you study at school?||I studied French and Spanish at school.|
|What countries have you visited?||I have visited France, Italy and Poland.|
Grammar Focus - Answering Questions
It is often difficult in English to know which tense to use when having a conversation with somebody. We often don't have time to think about the uses of each tense and then make a decision. Look again at the questions at the start of this unit. What tenses are the questions in? Now look at the answers given - what tenses are they in?
Responding to questions
- Where are you from? Present Simple
- I am from Ireland. Present Simple
- What countries have you visited? Present Perfect
- What languages did you study at school? "Past Tense"
- I have visited France, Italy and Poland. Present Perfect
When speaking with someone it is important to listen to the question as this will help you phrase your answer. We generally use the same tense in our reply as in the question.
Vocabulary Focus - Adjectives with Prepositions
- I am interested in ancient history
Is it possible to say 'I am interested at...?' or 'I am interested on...?
Many adjectives are used with specific prepositions. It is important to learn many of the most common adjective + preposition pairs as this will make you sound much more natural.
Adjectives + Prepositions
|interested + in||I am interested in history|
|good + at||I am good at football|
|keen + on||I am very keen on rock music|
|worry + about||I am worried about my cat|
|scared + of||I am scared of spiders|
Speaking about yourself
Now that you've studied the grammar and vocabulary above you should practice answering these questions. Remember to listen to (or read) the questions carefully as this will help you phrase your answer.
- What are you interested in? I'm interested in modern history.
- What language do you want to learn? I want to learn English.
- What do you worry about? I worry about working.
- What are you scared of? I'm very scared of spiders.
- What do you want to eat? I want a pizza.
Try these questions to see if you can answer these questions and use adjectives correctly.
Complete the following sentences using the correct preposition:
- My sister's afraid ..... spiders and I'm scared ..... dogs.
|My sister's afraid of spiders and I'm scared of dogs.|
This is the lesson page - the answers are not to be inserted here, but to be found here