|Alignment||Normally neutral with some chaotic good tendencies|
|Source books||Fiend Folio|
A bunyip is loosely based on the creature from Australian mythology. They live in lakes, marshes and some rivers, and are mostly playful rather than dangerous, but they do occasionally attack smaller creatures such as dwarves.
Publication history 
The bunyip has appeared in the following publications:
- It first appeared in the first edition Fiend Folio (1981).
- For the Forgotten Realms setting in second edition in Monstrous Compendium Volume Three: Forgotten Realms Appendix (1989),
- It was reprinted in Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Three (1996).
- The Tome of Horrors (2002) from Necromancer Games.
- Turnbull, Don, ed. Fiend Folio (TSR, 1981)
- Conners, William, et al. Monstrous Compendium Volume Three: Forgotten Realms Appendix (TSR, 1989)
- Pickens, Jon, ed. Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume Three (TSR, 1996)
- Green, Scott; Peterson, Clark (2002). Tome of Horrors. Necromancer Games. pp. 31. ISBN 1-58846-112-2.