From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 lb (450g) plain flour
- 8 oz (225g) butter
- 6 oz (170g) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 oz (85g) currants, raisins or other dried fruit
- dash of milk
- pinch of salt
- In a large mixing bowl, rub together butter, flour and salt until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in sugar and fruit.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating together until mixture forms a thick dough. If dough will not form, add a small amount of milk.
- Knead for two to three minutes until dough becomes cohesive and slightly elastic.
- Roll dough out on a flat surface to a thickness of roughly
- Cut two to three inch circles from the dough and fry on a griddle until golden brown.