Simple syrup, also known as sugar syrup or bar syrup, is a sweetener made of granulated sugar and water. Simple syrup is often used to sweeten cold beverages, in which solid sugar will not readily dissolve.
As its name suggests, simple syrup is very easy to prepare. Prepared syrup can be stored, refrigerated, for up to a week.
- Combine the sugar and cold water in a sauce pan.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- When all of the sugar has dissolved, remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer to a storage container, and refrigerate until needed.
Notes, tips, and variations 
- Food coloring can be added to make differently colored syrups.
- Flavors and extracts can be added after the sugar dissolves, to create flavored syrups.
- The ratio of sugar and water can be changed to make thinner or thicker syrup.