From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Strudel - I learnt this version from my exchange hosts in Germany. Serve warm with ice cream.
- 4 fresh apples, preferably red
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- filo pastry sheets
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Peel, core and cube apples.
- Combine apples, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well.
- Generously brush filo pastry sheets with butter.
- Spread apple mixture over pastry sheet.
- Alternate with two layers of filo pastry for every layer of apple mixture.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
Notes, tips and variations
- For more tartness, substitute for 3 red apples and 1 green apple.
- If you are unable to obtain ground cinnamon, substitute for cinnamon powder.