From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Basic recipe on how to cook artichokes.
- Cut off artichoke stem and head.
- Remove base leaves and cut off pointy end of upper leaves.
- Rub artichoke in lemon to preserve color.
- Add salt (and any seasonings) to 3 inches of water, bring to low boil.
- Place artichoke top down in pot tall enough to place lid without touching the artichoke.
- Boil on low 30-45 minutes until bottom can be punctured without resistance.
- Place artichoke upside down to drain.
- Serve whole, with one or more dips. Diners should remove a leaf, dip the base of the leaf in the dip, and eat the fleshy base of the leaf.
- When all the leaves are gone, remove the choke, cut the heart of the artichoke into bite sized pieces, and serve with the dip.
- 1-2 Garlic per artichoke
- 1/8 cup white wine.
This dip is in our opinion more tasty than butter or mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup of Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon horseradish