Cookbook:Spicy feta burger
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- about 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Mix spices into beef, using hands, until well-mixed.
- Form eight small balls of meat, then press into very flat pancake shapes.
- Top four with about 2 tbsp. crumbled feta cheese, then cover with the other four.
- Press together firmly to flatten, then crimp edges tightly to make four burgers.
- Cook as regular burgers in a skillet or on the grill. Handle gently to avoid crumbling.
Makes four burgers.
Notes, tips and variations
- Any other cheese that doesn’t melt easily can be substituted for feta in this recipe. Some possibilities are Parmesan, Swiss, and Jarlsberg. If you use a cheese that melts and becomes runny, however, it will all drip out.
- If you plan to grill the burgers, you can opt to mix the feta in with the beef and simply treat as regular burgers. Don’t try this on a skillet, however, as the cheese will stick and burn.