Cookbook:Spicy Fried Okra
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
This recipe is not for those of you that will call the fire department if you taste a chile.
- 40 okra, stemmed and halved lengthwise
- 2 tbs salt
- 2 tbs freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- Hot sauce
- 2 1/2 quarts peanut oil
- Combine salt, peppers, and 1/2 cup flour. Coat okra with flour mixture.
- Dip okra into hot sauce and dredge in remaining flour, adding more as needed. Let rest 2-3 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large pot or a deep-fryer to 375 degrees. Add okra, 6 at a time, and fry until golden brown and crispy, 3-4 minutes. Drain on a cooling rack and repeat until all okra has been fried.
- Sprinkle fried okra with additional kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve warm.