Cookbook:Soft Boiled Eggs
Soft boiled eggs, a nice way to eat poached eggs without a plate, takes about 7 minutes to prepare. Often served with buttered toast, perfect for dipping into the runny yolk.
- A small saucepan (1 - 2 quarts / litres)
- A small spoon or teaspoon
- Gas or electric stove, at medium-high to high heat
- A sharp pin or tack (optional - see method 2)
- A slotted spoon (optional - see method 2)
There are several popular ways to make soft boiled eggs. Here are the most common ones.
Method 1 
This is a method used widely in France that almost invariably leaves the yolk soft and runny but not watery. This method still requires that you pierce the shell.
- Using eggs which are more or less at room temperature (i.e., not straight from the refrigerator), place in water that has been brought to a "furious" boil.
- After one minute, remove from heat and allow eggs to stand in the hot water in the pan for 5 minutes.
Method 2 
- Fill the pot ¾ full with water and set on stove top to boil.
- Using the pin, poke a small hole on the larger end of the egg.
- When the water is boiling, use the slotted spoon to lower the eggs into the pot.
- Let the eggs boil for 4-6 minutes (5 minutes for soft yolk, 4 minutes for runny).
- Remove the eggs with the slotted spoon.
Method 3 
- Mix ½ tsp salt into enough water to cover your eggs, and bring the water to a soft boil.
- Put your eggs in the water and boil for 4-5 minutes.
- When they're done, immediately run them under cold water so they stop cooking.
Method 4 
- Bring water to a rolling boil
- Put eggs in water
- Remove from heat, cover pot.
- Let Sit for 8 minutes
Method 5 
- add 1/2 tsp of salt in cold water
- boil 6 eggs in water for 6 mins (1 min per egg)
- remove from heat, cover pot
- let it sit for 3-5 minutes then serve, but
- put them in cold water before serving will make the task of taking egg shells off easy
- To serve, place eggs on an egg cup, shot glass, or anything that will allow the egg to stay upright.
- Using the small spoon, repeatedly tap the top of the eggs until an area the size of the spoon is cracked
- Dig the spoon across the bottom of the cracked area to remove the top.
- Use the spoon to eat from the egg shell and/or cut toast into strips and dip into the egg.