Cookbook:Simple Italian Sausage Spaghetti Dinner
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Simple Italian Sausage Spaghetti Dinner|
- 8 ounces whole grain thin spaghetti
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion
- ½ pound mild or hot Italian sausage
- ½ cups red or dry white wine
- 2 (14-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a 4½-quart saucepan or Dutch Oven over medium-high heat.
- Peel and finely chop onion, adding to pan as you chop.
- Remove casings from sausage, if necessary, and crumble sausage into the pan. Stir and cook, breaking up the sausage, until the sausage is cooked through and the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine to pan and stir to loosen any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add canned tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, garlic, sugar and Italian seasoning.
- Stir to combine, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, and cook until pasta is ready.
Tips, Notes, and Variations 
- May substitute ½ cup chopped onion for small onion.
- Sauce can simmer on low, after cheese is added, up to 30 minutes, if necessary.
- Serve over hot, cooked pasta.