Cookbook:Lamb and Vegetable Soup of Liverpool (Scouse)
The traditional recipe for Liverpool Scouse, also known as "lobscouse":
- A cheap cut of lamb, or in earlier days, mutton (such as breast or forequarter)
- A little oil
- Chopped onions
- Water or meat stock
- Remove the meat from the bone (if needed) and dice it.
- Warm a little oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the meat, and brown it.
- Add the chopped onions, carrots, and water or meat stock, and as many potatoes as possible.
The sauce is not thickened, and it is usual to serve with preserved beetroot or red cabbage and white bread with butter. An even more impoverished variety of this dish is 'blind Scouse', which features no meat.