From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Cantonese roast duck/goose (烧鸭\烧鹅)
- Duck or goose 3-6 pounds (1.3kg - 2.6kg)
- 3 green onions or 1 onion
- 2 tbsps light soy sauce
- 2 tbsps dark soy sauce (option, can use light soy sauce instead)
- 2 cups (450ml) of white wine, sherry or Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tbsps Hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsps dark soy sauce
- Mix all marinade ingredients together.
- Mix all glaze ingredients together.
- Wipe the mixture all over the duck/goose, inside and outside.
- Wipe the glaze mixture inside the duck/goose
- Sit duck in breast up, in an open container and on a rack
- Put in the refrigerator to chill over night.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C)
- Put 1 to 1/2 inch (2.5cm) of water in the roasting pan (so to catch the grease come out from the duck/goose while roasting and prevent smoking of the grease in the oven)
- Place onion inside duck/goose, put duck/goose in the roasting pan, on a roasting rack,
- Place duck/goose in the oven, back up, for 15 minutes
- Turn duck/goose to breast up, roast for another 15 minutes
- Turn oven heat to 375°F (190°C), roast the duck/goose until internal temperature reach a minimum of 180F (test between the thigh, the thickest part of the duck/goose, be careful not to touch the bone)
- Glaze the duck/goose, turn oven up to 450°F (200°C) and roast again for about 10 minutes
Carve and serve!