From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 4 ounces (110 g) unsweetened baking chocolate
- ⅔ cup (160 g/1.6 dl) solid fat: margarine, butter, shortening, or lard.
- 2 cups (450 g/2.7 dl) baking sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1¼ (300 g/3 dl) cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup (240 g/2.4 dl) coarsely chopped nuts (½ inch / 1 cm walnuts work well)
- Heat oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Melt chocolate and margarine in a double boiler, or (carefully) in a saucepan on low heat while stirring often.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix in the sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Excluding the nuts, mix the dry ingredients with each other, and then into the wet mixture.
- Mix in the nuts.
- Spread into a 13-inch by 9-inch baking pan, or into two 8-inch by 8-inch baking pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until brownies pull away from the sides of the pan.