From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
This is a simple rice pudding recipe, dating to at least 1965, in Columbus Ohio USA.
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 cups cooked rice (brown rice works as well as, if not better than, white rice)
- 1 cup raisins or Zante currants, if desired
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract to taste
- Cardamom to taste if desired. (Approximately 1/8 teaspoon (US) for this serving size. Add with other spices).
- Mix milk, eggs, sugar in a 3 quart casserole dish until thoroughly mixed and frothy.
- Mix in cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla.
- Mix in rice, then put in raisins. Do not mix in raisins, or they will all wind up on the bottom!
- Place casserole in a larger baking pan with about 1 inch of water.
- This will keep the bottom from cooking too fast and burning.
- Bake in a 325 degree oven until set, about 1.5 hours.