Cookbook:Quince and Lemon Chutney
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 1/2 kg. / 3 lb. quinces, peeled and cored
- 1 large lemon, chopped
- 5 ml. / 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 ml. / 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cloves
- 6 peppercorns
- 5 cm. / 2 in. cinnamon stick
- 5 cm./2 in. piece fresh root ginger, peeled
- 5 L / 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 225 g. / 8 oz. sultanas
- 125 g. / 4 oz. stem ginger
- Put the quinces and lemon in a saucepan.
- Tie the spices in a cheesecloth bag and add to the pan with all the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 45 minutes, or until thick and reduced by about half.
- Remove the cheese-cloth bag.
- Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.