From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 2oz / 60g whole-wheat flour
- 2oz / 60g plain white flour
- 2 oz fine semolina
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tbs vegetable oil for the dough
- about 500ml / a pint of vegetable oil for deep frying the pooris
- water to mix the dough
Dough Preparation 
- Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Add salt and dribble the tbs. oil.
- Mix well. Add water gradually to make it a stiff dough.
- Knead well for a few minutes.
- Cover the dough and leave to rest for about half an hour.
Frying Puri 
- Pour the oil for deep frying in a wok and heat the oil.
- Meanwhile divide the dough into 8 small balls and roll into small circle. (about 3" [7.5cm] in diameter)
- You can use a bit of hot oil to roll the dough so it will not stick to the surface.
- When the oil is hot (test - if you put a tiny dough in the oil it should come up straight away), lay the flatted dough over the oil, press the top slightly with the slotted spoon until it inflates itself, and turn to other side. Adjust the flame as necessary.
- If it sinks quickly to the bottom of the wok, the oil is not hot enough (puri will absorb too much oil). It should balloon within a few seconds.
- Remove from oil after the puri turn golden/light brown color and place on a wire rack or kitchen paper towel for excess oil to drain.
Notes, tips and variations 
- For chapattis dough, don't use semolina and plain flour. Only use whole meal flour, salt and oil.