Cookbook:Pumpkin Soup with curry
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin
- 2 15 oz. cans of chicken broth (reduced sodium is best)
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. curry
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- Back pepper to taste
- 1 cup cream
- Sauté onions with olive oil until translucent
- Add pumpkin and broth; mix well.
- Add all spices and simmer for at least 15 minutes; remove bay leaf.
- Let soup cool to lukewarm temperature and puree in a blender for smooth texture.
- Return to saucepan and add milk. Reheat on lower temperature to serve immediately or forgo reheating and store in a suitable airtight container
I have added twice the curry powder and still really enjoyed the soup. You also might add a little coriander. The above version is milder. Also this soup is fairly thick; consider adding more chicken broth if you like a thinner soup. You can also find versions without the milk added. And, of course, if vegetarian, vegetable broth works just as well.
Tips and Notes
Cooling the soup well before blending improves safety, but it also prevents the plastic blender top from absorbing the orange color of the pumpkin.