Cookbook:Pasta with Pancetta and Cauliflower
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 lb dried pasta
- 6oz pancetta (small dice)
- 1 head of cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 1 14oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- red pepper flakes
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup of grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- chopped parsley, additional grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil. Add Cauliflower Florets to boiling water and cook for 4 minutes, and transfer Cauliflower to an ice bath (do not discard cooking water).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium high heat in a large pan. Once hot, add the diced pancetta, and begin to brown.
- Once pancetta begins to brown, add pasta to boiling water.
- After pancetta is almost completely browned, reduce heat to medium and add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté until garlic begins to turn golden, and then add the cauliflower and the drained diced tomatoes and toss to heat through. Add ¼ cup of the pasta water, as well as salt and pepper.
- While pasta is finishing cooking, beat the egg yolks, grated cheese, salt and pepper until smooth.
- When the pasta is about 2 minutes away from being al dente, drain.
- Lower the heat on the sauce to low and add the pasta to the sauce and toss to combine. Once combined, pour on the egg yolk mixture and quickly toss the pasta to coat it with the mixture (the egg yolks should coat the pasta, and not scramble).
- Once heated through, remove to serving bowl or individual plates and garnish with the chopped parsley and additional cheese.