Pancakes are a type of flatbread prepared from a batter that is baked on a hot griddle or frying pan. They exist in several variations in many different local cuisines. Most pancakes are quick breads, although some are also made using a yeast-raised or fermented batter. Here are some basic pancake recipes.
Note: These recipes are all for the American and Scottish style of risen pancakes. For the English and French style of flat pancake (made without baking powder) see Cookbook:Crêpe.
Pancakes from Scratch 
- 1 cup (120 grams) all-purpose flour (white, whole grain or 1:1 mix of white and whole grain)
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk (substitute buttermilk or 1:1 mix of milk and buttermilk)
- 1 eggs, separated
- 1 Tbs white sugar (Optional: this will add a sweetness to your pancakes and is recommended if you are not using any sauces, syrups or ingredient such as bananas or blueberries that will add natural sugars to the mix.
- In large bowl, mix dry ingredients together until well-blended.
- Add milk and mix well until smooth.
- Separate eggs, placing the whites in a medium bowl and the yolks in the batter. Mix well.
- Beat whites until stiff and then fold into batter gently (skip this step for heavier pancakes or if 1 cup buttermilk is substituted for milk).
- Pour ladles of the mixture into a non-stick pan, one at a time.
- Cook until the edges are dry and bubbles appear on surface. Turn; cook until golden. Yields 12 to 14 pancakes.
Notes, tips, and variations 
- Serve with butter, maple syrup, fruit, chocolate spread, melted chocolate, jam or cheese.
- Many variations of this recipe use a beaten egg. In these variations most commonly all wet ingredients are mixed together with the dry ingredients in step 2, and you then proceed to step 5.
- Use buttermilk or yogurt instead of milk, or wholegrain flours instead of white. This will change the consistency of the final product (i.e. whole grain flours generally lead to a denser heavier pancake, so try mixing white and wheat in various proportions as suggested above to get the feel you want).
- Add sliced fruit such as banana and apple, or broken crispy bacon to the batter after pouring into the skillet and before flipping.
Banana-Spirulina Pancakes (Vegan) 
This is a recipe for Banana-Spirulina Pancakes that makes about 5-6 large pancakes (serves two people well).
- 1¼ cup flour (check that label!)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- About 1 teaspoon powdered spirulina (optional, but recommended)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1¼ cup rice milk (soy might also work)
- 1 thinly sliced Banana (if you freeze the banana first, you can get very thin slices)
- non-stick skillet, sauté pan, or griddle
- Maple syrup
- non-stick spray
Sift and mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spirulina in a big bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix oil and milk.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Dump in the liquid ingredients and lightly mix the two together.
- Do not whisk, beat, or otherwise try to mash out all of the batter lumps. You will end up with tough, flat, and ugly pancakes. Keep a light hand, and your pancakes will remember by yielding fluffy results.
- Gently toss in the bananas and stir them just to coat in the batter.
- Heat up the non-stick pan and spray evenly with oil.
- Using a 1/3 cup measure as a scoop, dip into the batter and pour evenly into the skillet. Watch your heat carefully, you want it on medium-hot (don't burn them).
- When bubbles begin to form in the middle of the pancake, and the edges look somewhat set, give it another spray of oil.
- Immediately, flip over.
- Cook for another minute or so, then remove the pancake, and put it in the toaster oven on warm (Or find some way of keeping it warm while you finish off the batter).
- Spray the pan again, and repeat until the batter is all gone.
Serving Tips 
- A light maple syrup is very good. Some prefer this without anything.
- Strawberry jam is also preferable, it gives it that sour zing
- Nutella Ferrero is very good, for those who likes chocolates
- Sugar powder for those who has sweet tooth