Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | American cuisine | Vegetarian Cuisine | Holiday Recipes | appetizers
Onion Blooms 
- Preheat deep fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Put each onion on cutting board root end down and cut ¾ inch (2 cm) off the top.
- Peel onion.
- Cut vertically through the center, from the top to the root, without cutting through.
- Repeat cuts radially (across the center, like a clock face) for a total of 6 or 8 cuts.
- Remove about 1 inch (2.5 cm) of the onion center.
- Soak in ice water 15 minutes.
- Cut a little deeper if an onion isn't bloomed enough.
- Dip in Seasoned Flour and shake gently to remove excess.
- Dip in Beer Batter and shake gently to remove excess. You may have to separate fronds to get a good coating.
- Handling carefully, lower into fryer using a fryer basket.
- Fry about a minute and a half.
- Remove basket from fryer, turn onions over, and return to fryer.
- Fry until golden, about another minute and a half.
- Drain on towel.
- Serve hot.
Tips, Notes, and Variations 
- Good with Creamy Chili Sauce, put a small cup in the center of the onion, where you took out the center.