From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- ½ a cup of onion finely chopped
- 3tbsps of olive oil or any type oil
- 3cloves of garlic finely chopped
- ½ lb. of muskrat meat cut in to pieces
- 2 tbsps of tomato paste
- 1 tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of black pepper
- ½ a cup of red wine
- 5-8 leaves of collard greens cut in to pieces
- 1 cup of brown lentils
- 3 medium potatoes diced
- Red and yellow bell peppers diced
- 1 jalapeño for heat diced- you can omit this
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 cups of water (one cup for constantly deglazing the pan)
- ½ a tsp of rosemary
Soak the Muskrat meat in a salt water overnight to reduced the power of the gamy taste.
- Add the onion in to a large pot and sauté golden brown. Then add the olive oil in and stir constantly.
- After a couple of minutes later add the garlic. You can add a little bit of water to prevent the garlic from burning.
- Then add the muskrat meat and stir the meat until its golden brown. Add the tomato paste in to the pot.
- After 5 minutes later, add the salt and pepper and taste the mixture. Add the brown lentils and cook for 5-7 minutes. (you can boil the lentils to save time and just add them right at the end before you add the peppers).
- Then add the collard greens and cook them for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with the red wine and cook the alcohol down by reducing it in half. Add the diced potatoes in to the pit and stir for 5 more minutes. Add the vegetable stock and the water that is left.
- When you see the soup boiling add the peppers with the jalapeño. Let the soup simmer for at least 10 minutes and add the rosemary. Turn off the hart. You can serve it right away or wait 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy the soup!