Cookbook:Moqueca de Peixe
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
This is a recipe for the original Bahian Moqueca de Peixe. To prepare moqueca for 5 people, you will need:
- 1 kg of fresh (white) fish (just try coal fish in the beginning), cut into two-finger wide stripes/slices
- the juice of one lemon
- 2 mid-sized onions, cut into circular slices
- 2 bell peppers (one red, one green), cut into circular slices
- 1 clove of garlic, squeezed
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped, optionally skinned
- 4 cilantro stems with leaves, finely chopped
- 12 tablespoons Azeite de dendê (a very tasty, heavy, saffron-colored palm oil, which may not be omitted for moqueca under any circumstances)
- 200mL coconut milk
- Leave the fish in a marinade made out of lemon juice and fine powdered pepper for at least one hour.
- Put the fish, onions, bell peppers, garlic, tomatoes and the cilantro in numerous layers into a pot.
- Pour the azeite de dendê and the coconut milk over all and let boil everything for 20 minutes. From time to time ladle/scoop the liquid from the pot's bottom to its top. Be careful, in order not to break the fish!
- Serve with white rice.
Note: To get the best taste you have to add more salt than you might think.