Cookbook:Marinated Cucumbers and Onions
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
This is a nice, light, cooling salad or side dish to have during the hottest summer months. That's when my mother would make it.
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 white onion
- 2 cups (480 mL) distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- These are estimates and you should mix the marinade ingredients to taste
- Mix vinegar, oil, salt and sugar for the marinade.
- Trim the ends from the cucumbers, peel them and slice them.
- Peel the onion and slice it as thinly as possible.
- Pour the marinade over the cucumbers and onions and mix well.
- Let it sit in a cool place or refrigerate for at least two hours, stirring occasionally.
Serve in a bowl, marinade and all, using salad tongs or a slotted spoon to dish out servings.
Notes, tips, and variations 
- Any light salad oil may be used. Avoid olive oil as it congeals when refrigerated.
- The cucumber to onion ratio should be from 2:1 to 2.5:1.
- There should be just a hint of oil in the marinade and just enough sugar to take the edge off of the vinegar's tartness.
- For crisper pickles add a spoonful of oregano.