Cookbook:Lime, Almond and Strawberry Chutney
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1kg strawberries, hulled and cut in quarters
- 400g caster sugar
- 400g Aspall Raspberry Cider Vinegar
- 400g water
- 10g salt
- 4 cardamom pods, toasted
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 500g chopped banana shallots
- 70g ginger, peeled and chopped
- 40g red chilies, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 100g sliced almonds
- Sterilize the glass jars: wash them in hot soapy water then place the jars on a roasting tray in the preheated oven at 100°C for 30 minutes.
- Peel and chop the banana shallots. Place the chopped shallots, vinegar, sugar, star anise, toasted cardamom pods, cinnamon, sliced chilies, chopped ginger, cloves, salt and water in a large saucepan.
- Dissolve the sugar over low heat once the sugar has dissolved turn the heat up and cook the chutney base to 105°C.
- Wash hull and cut the strawberries into quarters, add the strawberries to the boiling chutney base, bring the chutney back to the boil and cook until the chutney reaches 105°C.
- Add the lime zest and juice and fold in the sliced almonds.
- Let the chutney cool slightly before spooning the chutney into the warm sterilized jars.
- Let the chutney mature for one day before using.