Cookbook:Lady Arundel's Manchet
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Lady Arundel's Manchet is a variety of British scone but is made using yeast rather than with a baking agent.
- Fine wheat flour 2 lb.
- salt 1/2 oz.
- butter 2 oz.
- egg 1
- warm milk 1 pint
- yeast 1 oz.
- castor sugar 1 teaspoonful
Time: to rise, 30 minutes: to bake 20 minutes according to size.
- Mix the salt in the flour, rub in the butter
- Cream the yeast with the sugar
- Add it to 3/4 pint of warm milk
- Beat the egg and mix with the yeast and flour
- Make a well in the flour, pour in the yeast mixture and mix into the dough
- Shape the dough into small flat round cakes about 3/4 inch thick and 3 1/2 inches across
- Mark manchets with lines to form diamond pattern
- Leave to rise for thirty minutes in a warm place
- Bake in a moderate oven until cooked.
- Florence White: Good Things in England' page 72