Cookbook:Grilled Filet Mignon with a Cognac Reduction
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
One of the best, tenderest cuts of beef, filet mignon is pure luxury. Here, we coat it with coarsely ground black pepper and grill it to perfect medium rare.
- 4 filet mignons, 1 1/2 in. (4cm) thick
- 2 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (about 200ml)cognac
- Sprinkle filet mignons with kosher salt on both sides. Don't try this with table salt.
- Coat filet mignons with mustard on both sides and dredge into black pepper, pressing lightly to help adhesion.
- Grill steaks over high heat for 1 minute per side, then place on a new medium burner until interior temp. reaches 140°f (60°c). Remove and keep warm.
- Place cognac into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat until reduced by 1/3.
- Serve filet mignons with cognac drizzled on top.