From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Granola is a breakfast item consisting of Rolled Oats, Honey, Nuts, and other add-ins, and is cooked until crunchy. This recipe provides a basic recipe for granola that can be easily modified to suite one's tastes.
- 3 cups Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Pecans, cleaned and shelled
- 3/4 cup Coconut, shredded and sweetened
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar, dark
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Raisins
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans.
- Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.
- Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.
Notes and Variations
- The inclusion of nuts is recommended, but not required, so those with nut allergies are free to make granola without any nuts.
- Any type of nut works in granola, so feel free to substitute in your favorite kind. You can also add more to the recipe, though it is recommended that you do not use more than 2 cups of nuts for every 3 cups of oats.
- This recipe is adapted from a recipe by Alton Brown