Cookbook:Feijoa Chutney 3
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 4 cups of raw feijoa pulp – (cut in half and scooped out)
- 4 cups of raw sliced onions (your preference of long ways or diced or half and half)
- 4 granny smith apples
- 1 whole feijoa – finely sliced (skin on, just top and tail it)
- 2 pickled onions – sliced finely
- 2 cups malt vinegar
- 1¼ cups brown sugar
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 2 cups sultanas
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices (in a muslin bag)
- salt, pepper (good grind of each)
- 1 inch long piece of raw ginger – very finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- Heat malt vinegar, add sugars and bring to the boil.
- Add both pickled and raw onions to this mixture and cook for 30 mins. Stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add balsamic vinegar.
- Stir in spices and sultanas and mix well.
- In another pot, slowly heat the feijoa and apple mix with ½ cup sugar and ½ cup vinegar. (Lid on but tilted to one side).
- When it’s hot (bubbling) add the onion, sugar, spice and vinegar mix.
- Cook for a good 60 minutes minimum. (If you prefer it to be dark brown, cook it down for over 2 hours.)
- Bottle when hot into hot sterilised jars.