Cookbook:Estofado de Pollo
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- One whole chicken, cut into pieces (breast cut into four pieces)
- 3 large carrots, cut into thirds and sliced lengthwise
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large potatoes, cut into four pieces each
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium Roma tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 quart (1 liter) water
- 2 chicken bullion cubes
- 1 seeded and thinly sliced, lengthwise hot yellow pepper (aji amarillo) or red jalapeño may be substituted
- In large Dutch oven, heat oil and saute onion and garlic. Once onion begins to soften, add chopped tomato and chicken pieces. Slightly brown the chicken pieces, salt and pepper and add the ground cumin.
- Once chicken has lightly browned, add the water, bullion cubes and wine. Cover and allow chicken to simmer at medium-low heat for at least 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, and peas. Taste broth, as more cumin or salt and pepper may be needed. Add just enough water to simmer vegetables if needed. Once vegetables are done, remove from heat and allow to sit uncovered for 5 minutes before serving with white, steamed rice.