From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Dabeli is originally a Kutchi/Gujarati dish. Dabeli is now a common snack sold on Mumbai's roads. It is also called Double Roti or Kutchi Dabeli.
Recipe for Dabeli, adapted from a recipe by Tarla Dalal, serves 2-3.
For Dabeli masala:
- 1-2 red chillies (you can make it as spicy as you like
- 2 teaspoons Dabeli Masala (available ready- made in market which has shelf life of at least one year if kept in refrigerator)
For the filling
- 2 medium size potatoes, boiled and mashed
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 2 teaspoons dabeli masala
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5-6 ladi-pav / burger buns
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup sev
- garlic chutney (optional) and tamarind date chutney
- For garnish:
- finely chopped cilantro
- a handful of pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Put 2 teaspoon of oil, heat it slightly and add asafoetida, Dabeli Masala, potatoes, salt-to-taste and a sprinkle of water. Mix it very well so that masala, salt and boiled potato assimilate very well. Additionally (optional) you can put some finely chopped green chillies in this preparation.
- Remove from fire.
- Taste this mixture, if you want to make it more spicy, add some more of Dabeli Masala and again mix it using hands or masher.
- Toss in the roasted peanuts and mix everything well
- Slice pav/bun into halves and toast them with a little butter on a griddle.
- Apply garlic chutney on one side (inner side), tamarind -date chutney on the other side (inner side) of the sliced pav/bun.
- Place a portion of the potato filling in between bun.
- Top with chopped onion, coriander and sev. Sev is an Indian food item readily available in market and also exported.
- Press down the bun from both side and garnish with pomegranate seeds, roasted pea-nuts and serve, medium-hot, immediately with a extra dip of chutney on the plate. Fried green chillies, with a sprinkle of salt can be additionally given as an add-on.
- Roast masala ingredients in a pan for a few minutes taking care not to burn them. Grind to a fine powder
- Heat oil in a pan and fry peanuts till they turn light brown
- Remove and keep aside
- Next add cumin seeds; when they splutter add asafoetida, dabeli masala, potatoes, salt and a little water
- Toss in the peanuts and mix everything well
- Remove from fire.
- Slice buns into halves and toast them with a little butter on a griddle
- Apply garlic chutney if using on one side, tamarind chutney on the other side of the bun
- Place a portion of the potato filling in between
- Top with chopped onion, cilantro and sev* Press down, garnish with pomegranate seeds and serve immediately