Cookbook:Creamy BLT Pasta
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Creamy BLT Pasta|
- 1 pound penne
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 to 6 slices bacon, sliced across into 1/2-inch thick sticks
- 3 medium leeks, trimmed, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 round tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 5.4-ounce package Boursin cheese or 1/2 cup any soft, creamy cheese with herbs Black pepper Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Once at a full rolling boil, salt water and cook pasta to al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp of the olive oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and brown to crisp.
- Add leeks and garlic, and season with pepper. Stir a few minutes to soften then add tomato paste and stir a minute more.
- Add wine and reduce by half.
- Add tomatoes and put a lid on the pot. Let the tomatoes burst, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese, reduce heat to low.
- Reserve about 1/2 cup starchy cooking liquid just before draining pasta, then drain and add pasta to sauce using starchy water to combine.
- Adjust the seasoning of pasta to taste, serve in shallow bowls topped with Parmesan cheese and garnished with tomatoes.
Notes, tips, and variations
- For a healthier variation, reserve the bacon after it's done cooking. Drain the bacon grease and add in another 2 Tbsp of olive oil, and continue the recipe without the bacon in the pan. Add the bacon back in with the pasta.
- This recipe was adapted from a recipe shown in an episode of the Rachael Ray Show.