Cookbook:Cognac Beef Stew
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 2 in. cubes
- All-purpose flour, as needed
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup cognac
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 pound redskin potatoes, quartered
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup red wine
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- Dredge beef in flour. Heat oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven.
- Working in batches, add beef and thoroughly brown on all sides.
- Remove beef and add cognac. Bring to a boil and ignite. Deglaze pan by scraping the bottom.
- Once reduced by half, remove and pour over beef.
- Melt butter over medium heat and add onion. Cook 1-2 minutes before adding garlic. Sauté until pale gold color is achieved.
- Add everything else and place in a 250° oven and bake 5 hours. Let rest 10 minutes and serve.