Cookbook:Classic Pot Roast
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
This pot roast recipe is even better than your mom made. (sorry Mom!)
- 1 2 1/2 pound bottom round roast
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 6-8 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup tomato juice
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 redskin potatoes, quartered
- Season roast liberally with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium high heat. Add roast and cook until browned on all sides.
- Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add remaining oil and vegetables. Cook until onions are lightly browned around edges.
- Remove vegetables and keep warm. Deglaze pan with broth and add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low and add vegetables and beef.
- Cover and place into a 225 degree F oven and cook 6 hours. Serve warm.