Cookbook:Chili Cornbread Casserole
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Chili Cornbread Casserole|
|Time||prep ½ hour
total 45 minutes
- 4 strips bacon, cut in small pieces
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeños (canned)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 large onion
- 1¼ pounds hamburger
- 1 pound beef
- black pepper
- 1 can (15-ounces) diced tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Dice onion and cut beef into small pieces.
- Fry bacon at medium-high heat in big skillet.
- Lower heat to medium and put in brown sugar, chili powder, coffee, cumin, jalapeños, oregano, and paprika.
- Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add beef pieces and hamburger and cook until lightly done, maybe 8 or 10 minutes.
- While beef is cooking, start on cornbread.
- Add tomatoes to skillet and cook 1 minute, stirring deeply to keep anything from sticking to the bottom.
- 2 tablespoons (¼ stick) butter
- ½ cup corn meal
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- Melt, then cool butter.
- Whisk butter, egg, and milk together.
- Combine corn meal, flour, and salt, then add baking powder and baking soda.
- Stir in liquid mixture (butter, egg, and milk).
- Set aside and go back to chili recipe above.
- Chili mix
- Cornbread mix
- Spray a 9x12 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Put entire chili recipe in baking pan and smooth surface.
- Spoon cornbread mixture over chili mixture and smooth with a large spoon.
- Bake about 20 minutes, or until cornbread pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Serve in bowls, making sure every large spoonful has both textures.
Tips, Notes, and Variations
- Beans in the chili would probably be too much starch.
- Finish seasoning the chili before assembling with cornbread.