Cookbook:Cheddar and Broccoli Bread Roll
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Cheddar and Broccoli Bread Roll|
- 1 ten-ounce package of frozen, chopped broccoli
- ¾ cup each all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp margarine
- 115 ml skimmed milk
- 3 oz (90 g) shredded low fat cheddar cheese.
- Cook broccoli according to package directions. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Have an ungreased baking sheet ready.
- In a large bowl, combine both types of flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the margarine. Mix with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add milk and stir until all ingredient are moistened.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead a few times until the dough holds together in a ball. Add a small amount of flour if the dough is sticky.
- Roll dough, or press with your hands, into an 8 x 14 inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over dough, staying 1 inch away from the edges.
- Spread broccoli evenly over the cheese.
- Starting with one long side, tightly roll up dough like a jelly roll. Pinch the ends and seam together. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the bottom is nicely browned. Remove to a rack to cool for 5 minutes, then slice and serve warm.