From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Cao lầu is a Vietnamese regional noodle dish found only in Hội An, in the Quang Nam Province of central Vietnam.
This serves 3-4 people.
- 300g pork
- 2 cups (150g) Hokkien-style rice noodles
- 2 cups (150g) bean sprouts
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch chicken stock powder
- Turmeric powder (or paprika), just used for colour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- Lettuce and Asian greens
- Spring onions
- Heat oil and paprika.
- Fry pork with smashed garlic, soy sauce, chicken stock and spices for 3 minutes
- Add 1 tbsp water and fry for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, put aside.
- Put hot water on heat and add sprouts, cook for 1-2 minutes until soft.
- Remove sprouts, add noodles and cook noodles for 2 minutes.
- Put noodles in a bowl, on top of lettuce and greens, add pork, chopped spring onions, croûtons, and pepper.