From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Serve as a soup or accompanied with rice and boiled ground provisions.
- 12 taro (dasheen or callaloo) leaves
- 1/4 pound salted beef or salted pork (optional)
- 8 okra (ochroe)
- 4 stalks chives
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 crabs, cleaned and broken in pieces
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 hot pepper to flavour
- Strip the stalks and midribs from the leaves.
- Wash and cut leaves and soft stalks, discard remainder.
- Soak and cut salted beef or salted pork into bite-sized pieces.
- Cut okra, chives and thyme into small pieces.
- In a large pot put callaloo leaves, salted meat, okra, chive, thyme, onion, garlic, crab, coconut milk and water.
- Bring to the boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or more until everything is soft and cooked.
- Swizzle or beat with a hand beater.
- Add butter and stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Notes, tips, and variations 
- Use 1/2 pound seasoned chicken feet in lieu of salted beef or pork.
- 1 whole hot pepper can be added before boiling; remember to remove it when done boiling.
- Do not burst the pepper.
- Remove the hot pepper before mixing.