Cookbook:Cabbage Rolls in Tomato Sauce (Holubtsi)
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Cabbage Rolls in Tomato Sauce
- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lb (about 500 g) ground beef
- 3/4 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with 1/2 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175C)
- Put cabbage into pot of boiling water, cover, let sit for three minutes, then strain.
- Mix ground beef, milk, egg, rice, onion, pepper, and salt. Divide into twelve sections, then place
- a section on each cabbage leaf.
- Roll leaf around filling and fasten with toothpick.
- Place the rolls in a baking dish.
- Mix tomato paste, tomatoes, sugar, water, and vinegar, then pour over cabbage rolls.
- Cover baking dish and bake at 350°F (175C) for 40 min.
- Remove cabbage rolls from pan, and take out toothpicks. Place on the serving dish
- Add cornstarch and water to sauce mixture and stir together. Warm, if needed, to allow the cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce.
- Pour the completed sauce over the rolls on the serving dish.
- Garnish as desired and serve.