Cookbook:Bread with Tomato Sauce (Pappa al Pomodoro)
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Bread with Tomato Sauce (Pappa al Pomodoro)|
- 1/2 loaf dry bread
- 750 ml tomato paste
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped, more if you like it
- handful of well ripped basil leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak the bread in water for a short time, so that you can crush it with your hands. It should not be soaked. Fry the garlic in a large frying pan with oil until it begins to change color.
- Add the tomato puree and salt and cook over medium heat until it gets to a boil.
- Add pieces of bread in, none smaller than a walnut, after wringing and continue to mix it with the tomato, until it has become completely red.
- At this point the tomato should still have a fresh aroma.
- Remove from heat and serve hot in a bowl, seasoned with a drizzle of olive oil, pepper and a basil leaf.